Sinkholes in MASS are caused by five factors
• Population growth: MASS experienced an unexpected surge in population around their
civil war from 1980-1992
• Tierra blanca joven (TBJ): MASS is built on 50cm - 50m of fine, silicate volcanic ash
• Hydrological systems: Both human made and natural systems easily erode TBJ
• Maintenance: The city is unable to keep up with increasing maintenance as pipes age
• Earthquakes: About 20 earthquakes of medium intensity are felt annually in El
Salvador. Earthquakes crack water pipes.
Sinking MASS: Sustainable Water Use Practices for a City Plagued by Sinkholes.
Retrieved from the University of Minnesota Digital Conservancy,
Content distributed via the University of Minnesota's Digital Conservancy may be subject to additional license and use restrictions applied by the depositor.