The big event during 2004 was the centennial celebration held on October 9th. Although students were taking chemistry courses and graduating as majors before 1904, it was in this year that the School of Chemistry was established and George B. Frankforter was appointed as its first Dean. More currently, over the past two years, the department has focused a great deal of attention on the Kolthoff Hall renovation. The state bonding bill, which includes two-thirds of the funds for the 26.1 million dollar project, was signed into law by Governor Pawlenty on April 11, 2005. This was also a great year for our faculty, who received many awards summarized elsewhere in this letter.