Locks and Dam No. 2 are located on the Mississippi River, 1.4 miles
above Hastings, Minnesota, and 26 miles south of St. Paul, Minnesota. The
structure is 815.2 river miles above the mouth of the Ohio River, 32.4
river miles below Locks and Dam No.1, and 17.3 river miles above Locks and
Dam No.3. Locks and Dam No. 2 were put into operation in 1931 as part of
the Army Corps of Engineers Mississippi River 9-foot channel navigation
project. At that time they consisted of twenty 30 ft tainter gates and a
single lock on the southwest side of the river. A second lock, landward of
the first, was placed into operation in 1948. The original riverward lock
is today non-operational.
Ellis, Christopher R.; Stefan, Heinz G..
Navigation Conditions and Flood Conveyance at Locks and Dam No. 2, Mississippi River, Before and After Construction of a Proposed Hydropower Plant: Hydraulic Model Investigations.
St. Anthony Falls Hydraulic Laboratory.
Retrieved from the University of Minnesota Digital Conservancy,
Content distributed via the University of Minnesota's Digital Conservancy may be subject to additional license and use restrictions applied by the depositor.