The St. Anthony Falls Laboratory (SAFL) was designed and built in the 1930s under the direction of Lorenz G. Straub with funds from the Works Progress Administration and the University of Minnesota. The building was dedicated on November 17, 1938 and the Laboratory began its work in hydraulic and river engineering research as part of the Department of Civil Engineering.
Today SAFL is an interdisciplinary fluid mechanics research and research training facility of the College of Science and Engineering. Research focuses on environmental, energy, and health challenges.
Current information about SAFL and its programs is at http://www.safl.umn.edu.